After taking on this adventure, I initially thought, I’ll have to buy another bike for it. Well for some reasons that I won’t go into here, I couldn’t buy another bike and so started investigating how to convert the CRF into a safari bike. I have read a lot of blogs and found that it possible but a couple of changes were needed and a planned maintenance schedule would help. So what have I done to the bike;
• Luggage Rack – B&B Off-road Engineering have just brought out a rack for the CRF, They kindly donated one to me to test out on the journey. I am stoked they have and it has helped with packing of the bike.
• Master Cylinder Guard – B&B Off-road have also donated a guard. Again good protection of the braking device on the bike as they can get beaten up a bit.
• Extra Large Duffle Bag – Wolfman luggage have good duffle bags for these adventures, I got the same as Mike.
• Gearing – I have changed the gearing on the bike to bring the rpm’s down at cruising speed.
• Tyres – Going with Pirelli MT21 on front and back. Went for this tyre as we want good hookup in the dirt and can handle the compromise on the road.